Breadfruit Festival - Ho`oulu ka `Ulu
at the Amy B.H. Greenwell Ethnobotanical Garden
in South Kona, Hawai‘i Island
on Saturday, September 24, 2011 from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
The Festival is free and open to the public. Breadfruit (`ulu)-inspired food will highlight the festivities with chefs demonstrating how to make various delicious breadfruit dishes and giving out samples to taste. A local food buffet featuring breadfruit will be presented. Members of the public are invited to enter the Breadfruit Cooking Contest with their own favorite recipes.
The Festival will feature many Hawaiian and Pacific Islander cultural activities using `ulu. Cultural experts will give talks on the culture, history and mythology of `ulu in Hawai`i. Other cultural activities include `ulumaika, lei making, and quilting featuring `ulu motifs.
There will be workshops on breadfruit propagation, tree care and maintenance, economic opportunities and other topics.
An art exhibit will feature breadfruit-inspired works from the Festival’s fine art and youth art contests. Ma'afala (Samoan) and Hawaiian varieties of breadfruit trees will be available for sale.
For more information, visit Breadfruit Festival 2011
Haven't visited the Breadfruit Institute webpages recently? Check those pages directly for the latest news and resource information.
Now showing page 1 of 12 | Next Page
- GARDEN ACCEPTING INTERN APPLICATIONS, Press Release, 05/20/2013
- Video featuring Hale building to air on PBS Hawaii, Special Announcement, 05/20/2013
- Today Show tapes in McBryde Garden, In the News, 05/14/2013
- Limahuli Announces Summer Internships, Ages 13-18, Special Announcement, 05/14/2013
- NTBG and KCC Special Film Showing April 23, Press Release, 04/08/2013
- NTBG and KCC announce new lecture series: Around the World of Plants, Press Release, 02/22/2013
- Next Hale Building Days at Limahuli Announced, Special Announcement, 02/18/2013
- Archaeology/paleoecology field school runs this summer, Special Announcement, 02/08/2013
- NTBG announces 2013 Course for Science Teachers, Press Release, 01/11/2013
- Kalo Festival includes Workshop at Limahuli Garden, Events, 12/02/2012
Please see the News & Events master page for the entire NTBG organization at a glance.
Want to receive this information right when new items are posted to our website?
Sign up for our news feed via email.