The Cooking Contest, one of the first events of the day, garnered entries in the appetizers, soups/salads/side dishes, main dishes, and desserts categories. The rules of the contest called for original recipes featuring breadfruit as the main ingredient.
The panel of five judges included celebrity chefs Mark Tsuchiyama of Hualalai Resort, Olelo paa Ogawa of Glow Hawai`i and Jacqueline Lau of Royís Restaurants, food writer and cookbook author Sonia Martinez and KITV weekend anchor Pamela Young, who scored entries for best use of breadfruit, taste, presentation, originality, and the best use of healthy ingredients.
Some of the winners were:
Best of Show: Ann Sutherland of Kailua, Kona with her `Ulu Tart
Healthiest Choice: Kua o ka la New Century Public Charter School and their culinary kumu Mariposa Blanco of Pāhoa, Puna with their `Ulu Tamales with Coleslaw and Salsa
First Place Appetizer: Ann Sutherland of Kailua, Kona with her `Ulu Summer Rolls
First Place Soup/Salad/Side Dish: Nader Nanoa Parsia of Kailua, Kona with his `Ulu Salad
For more information about breadfruit, visit Breadfruit Institute of the National Tropical Botanical Garden
Now showing page 1 of 21 | Next Page
- Save the Date for Christmas in the Garden 2013, Events, 12/01/2013
- Breadfruit Festival on Kauai's Southshore, Events, 09/15/2013
- GARDEN ACCEPTING INTERN APPLICATIONS, Press Release, 05/20/2013
- Video featuring Hale building to air on PBS Hawaii, Special Announcement, 05/20/2013
- Today Show tapes in McBryde Garden, In the News, 05/14/2013
- Garden Celebrates 25th Motherís Day Open House, Events, 05/12/2013
- Bring Mom to the Garden on Motherís Day, Press Release, 05/06/2013
- 'Ohana Day "Double-Header" - Drawing & Dancing, Events, 04/21/2013
- Last Day this Year for the Plant Doctor - Southshore Visitors Center, Events, 04/14/2013
- NTBG and KCC Special Film Showing April 23, Press Release, 04/08/2013
Please see the News & Events master page for the entire NTBG organization at a glance.
Want to receive this information right when new items are posted to our website?
Sign up for our news feed via email.